|The Family-Ness is a British cartoon series produced in 1983. It was first broadcast
on BBC One from 5 October 1984 to 29 March 1985, and it was created by Peter Maddocks of Maddocks
Cartoon Productions. Maddocks later went on to produce Penny Crayon and Jimbo and the
Jet Set in a similar style. Family-Ness was about the adventures of a
family of Loch Ness
Monsters and the MacTout family, particularly siblings Elspeth and Angus.
The 'Nessies' could be called from the loch by the two children by means of
their "thistle whistles".
The Nessies are all named after their main trait, like the Mr. Men. The Nessies bear little likeness to the
stereotypical plesiosaurus/serpent appearance (which indeed comes up in one
episode); instead, they appear as very fat, yellow dinosaurs with bulbous
- Ferocious Ness
- The first Loch Ness Monster (and most often seen) to interact with the
MacTout children, and subsequently the most frequent to appear in the series. A
large crocodile/dragon-like creature who
likes frightening tourists and passers-by, he is otherwise generally
friendly. He is able to change colour to blend in with his background when on
land (only seen in one episode) and can, when this happens, get stuck in
whatever colour he chooses, but can be made to change back if confronted with
something more frightening than himself, creepy-crawlies being his greatest
fear. He once - courtesy of the Mayor and Mayoress - came third in a Loch
Ness Monster look-alike competition.
- Her High Ness
- The Queen of the Nessies, she originally made the rule that humans must not
have dealings with Loch Ness Monsters, but later gave the children their secret
thistle-whistles in the first episode when she realised how helpful and polite
they were. She was seen to breathe fire in just one episode, which she learned
to do from "a cousin in China" (presumably
a dragon), and on another occasion she stowed away in a ship to visit that
cousin. She bears little physical similarities with the other Nessies, taking on
a more thinner and more plesiosaurus like appearance.
- Baby Ness
- The youngest Nessie with a dummy
and nappy. He has a surprisingly "sweet
tooth" for one who has not yet started teething, as demonstrated once when Forgetful
Ness lost him, resulting in his crawling into the back door of Mrs
McToffee's sweet shop to steal sweeties, and on another occasion when he had the measles and Angus and
Elspeth bought him a whole jar of sticky sweets to cheer him up.
- Careful Ness
- An excessively cautious Nessie.
- Clever Ness
- The most intelligent of the Nessies, who sports a fine pair of spectacles.
Slightly old and doddering, but if called upon to assist the MacTout children in
any way is usually successful in doing so.
- Eager Ness
- A slightly hyperactive Nessie who can get carried away, but is
useful if the children want something done swiftly.
- Forgetful Ness
- A tie-wearing Nessie who, when he does
call the children, sometimes even forgets that it was he who called. Having lost
and then retrieved Baby Ness with the help of Angus and
Elspeth, he remembered to express his gratitude but forgot what the
baby's name was.
- Eyewit Ness
- Monster with a patch over one eye, who looks like a pirate. He has a tendency to place his telescope over the wrong eye.
- Grumpy Ness
- An old grumbling Nessie who is the least grateful to hear and react to
Angus and Elspeth's thistle-whistles, and perhaps for that reason
is one of the least often seen.
- Sad Ness
- Extremely depressed monster; plays board games against himself.
- Heavy Ness
- Strong monster, who wears circus "strong man" outfits. Teams up with
Mighty Ness to pull Silly Ness free when he gets stuck.
- Lovely Ness
- Credited in the theme tune as "the kissing kind". A friendly Nessie, but
often too dainty to help physically in a great deal of the adventures.
- Mighty Ness
- Another strong monster dressed in Circus Strongman clothes.
- Naughty Ness
- A trouble causing monster.
- Silly Ness
- Dim monster that's always getting into trouble. Often gets stuck in small
holes and caves and was the first Nessie the children saw- albeit with his
backside up in the air.
- Speedy Ness
- After Eager Ness, generally the quickest to action, he is
distinguished by his red crash helmet.
- Nat Ness
- Moaning Nessie, dressed in a polka dot t-shirt and large sunglasses.
- Sporty Ness
- Appears in the opening credits, but seldom reacts to the MacTout children's
thistle-whistles. When he does appear he tends to show off, he is shown wearing
a red and white striped t-shirt.
- Hungry Ness
- A Nessie who will eat anything, even diving bells!
- 2020. All rights reserved